Posted in Blog | Posted by Impact Partnership
Networking Series: Centers of Influence
Posted on August 22, 2016
One of the top questions we hear from advisors is, “How do I expand my practice with referrals?” There are a number of ways you can increase your referral pipeline from sources other than current clients. Here are a few ideas to incorporate into your calendar of events:
Local CPAs likely have clients who are qualified to work with you. Establishing a relationship with a CPA in your area is a good way to expand your network.
- Create a mail insert promoting your services, and mail it with tax prep documents. For best results, print on brightly colored paper so that your insert stands out. Include a line on the document that references something that will benefit them if they meet with you, such as: “If you filled out line 8a and 8b on the 1040 tax form, give me a call so we can talk about the tax implications on your retirement.”
- Invite CPAs to a one-on-one coffee or lunch to discuss your businesses. Remember, referrals are a two-way street.
- Conduct a seminar for CPAs only. This will give you a chance to speak to a group of CPAs and make the best use of your time. You can present a brief overview of your practice and explain how partnering with you provides their clients with added peace of mind about their retirements.
Realtors have their finger on the pulse of who is moving into your area.
- Partner with a local realtor that focuses on clients of your demographic.
- Ask your realtor if they provide any sort of welcome basket to their clients that includes information about area vendors. If so, request to put something with your brand on it in the basket.
Estate Attorneys, much like CPAs, may have clients that are qualified to work with you.
- Partner with an estate attorney so you can be brought in on client meetings to help explain the benefits of setting up financials in the name of a trust versus an individual.
- Invite a few attorneys to coffee or lunch, and use that meeting as an opportunity to fully explain what you do in your practice. This will give each of you a better idea of what kind of work you each provide for clients and can lead to more referrals.
- Optimize your time and host a “4 on 4” event with yourself, 4 realtors, 4 CPAs, and 4 Estate Attorneys. This will give all of you the opportunity to network with each other and exchange referrals.
- Take this event one step further by inviting each attendee to bring a client of theirs. Make this a social event by hosting a wine and cheese reception. This gives people an opportunity to mingle and make connections with service providers they wish to have in their address books.
Whether your referrals come from clients or other professionals in your area, they are extremely important to support the growth of your practice. Make sure that your marketing calendar includes at least two referral events per year.
For insurance professional use only. Not for distribution to members of the public.