We’ve discussed the benefits of SEO and even why you should start a blog, but let’s combine the two with SEO tips for your blog! SEO is already a tricky thing in this digital age. Navigating these waters doesn’t have to be difficult, especially if you are utilizing a blog. It may take some time to learn the ropes, but the time spent is worth it.
Two things factor into the SEO of your blog: readability and SEO components. Here are a few tips for improving these:
The readability of a blog plays a factor into your SEO. Individuals want information fast and easy. If they can’t read or understand your blog, it will most likely not generate as high on the search engine. You’ll be surprised how many small factors go into the readability of your blog. However, always remember to write like how you would talk. It’ll help the reader. When you start writing a blog, think about these:
- Headers: Headers will section your blog and improve readability, in turn, improving your SEO. By breaking up sections of your blog, the reader will be able to plainly see your key points. It will also organize your blog to better explain your point.
- Length: Some sources say blogs should be 700 words and some say 2,000 words. We say 600-1,500 is a happy in between. However, if you can clearly explain your point in 500 words, that is fine too. Keep your paragraphs and sentences short too.
- Internal Links: These are hyperlinks that link back to other blogs or resources you have created. This will not only build your credibility in producing valuable information, but it will increase the traffic on your other blogs. See what we did in the first sentence on this blog?
- External Links: Links to external resources will show that you have done your research and utilized all your resources to educate your audience.
- Bold Text: Bold text is great to add emphasis, present a call to action, or organize your blog. However, do not add too much bold text or the emphasis will be lost.
- Images: Attention spans are short nowadays. It’s a good idea to include visuals that correlate with your blog to keep your audience’s attention. However, be sure that these images are valuable to your blog’s purpose.
On some blog publishing platforms, you can enhance your SEO with various components. These components all work together with your readability to boost your SEO. Be conscious of these when you are writing your blogs:
- Key Phrase: Your key phrase is the term the search engine will use to generate your blog. When that key phrase is typed into a search engine, your blog will pop up. However, don’t overdo it or search engines will demote you for using too many.
- Slug: The slug is text that appears in the URL of your blog post. It is usually related to the SEO title or blog title.
- SEO Title: This is the title of your post. Users will see this when generating search results in a search engine. Your SEO title should reflect the content of your blog, but also uses your key phrase and popular search terms.
- Meta Description: A meta description is the description of the blog that will be generated in the search results. State the point of your blog clearly in this section. It will be what the user will read to determine if they’ll click on your blog.
- Image Alt Attributes: Provide a brief description of the images that are used on your blog. This will not only help with SEO, but it will help blind or visually impaired users know what images are on your blog, especially if an image has a call to action associated with it.
We could write a 5,000-word blog about SEO and who knows, maybe we will. However, these basics for your blog will at least give you a green light of approval from most blogging platforms.